I was driven crazy by the poor internet and WiFi in my home. Called Singtel for on-site support twice. They even replaced one set of the integrated modem+router, rewired the whole cable in the flat. Since the last on-site support, the DSL connection is better but DNS and WiFi still poor. Finally I manged to sort all these out myself and share with you here.
So what are the problems?
1. Internet down too often, not just WiFi, LAN or Mio TVdown either? Switch ON/OFF, no use? Consider contact Singtel first, let them update the firmware or replace the 2wire router for you. I had mine replaced and Mio TV since working fine.
Before you read further, I assume you know how to access the router setup page. Try open in your browser http://192.168.1.254
Note: this IP is dependent on your router manufacturer.
2. You can log on QQ, Skype, PPstream, but can’t browse the net? Singtel DNS fails. You can try set your modem using Google DNS, free and more stable! Don’t know how? Google is free.
3. WiFi too slow and unstable, drop like crazy?
Get inssider from http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Scan your neighbours’ WiFi channel frequencies, set your WiFi channel frequency away from the crowded area, usually channels 1 and 11 should be avoided.
If you using Android device, get WiFi analyzer from Play market
4. Place your WiFi router above the ground level, central to your devices not blocked by concrete walls.
5. Use WPA2 AES to encrypt your WiFi, it is more secure. It may improve your WiFi SNR as well. But this might be dependent on various situations, some ppl find WEP higher SNR. But if you’re on a 802.11n network, you should only use WPA2, otherwise the speed would be capped at g level.
6. Set static IP on your device.
7. What? After all these your apple ipad, android pad or phone still refused to be connected? Replace it! I mean your WiFi router. (I have tried all the tips/changes online in my router and Nexus 7. They just don’t mate..) What I did was disable the Singtel 2wire WiFi, just keep the DSL and connect it to my Cisco Linksys WiFi router. Voila! my Nexus 7 finally connected to the world again and has not be dropping so far. WiFi SNR for all my devices up by >10dB!
The tips here are not specific for Singtel. Most works for any ISP, WiFi routers.
8. Adding new gear:
If you flat or house is bigger than the coverage one wireless router can offer, you will need to set up a second access point in your remote room.
In my own apartment I’m using powerline adaptor + access point. Forget about WiFi repeater, extender, they are just too slow.
Hope this helps!
I love what you guys are usually up too. This type of
clever work and reporting! Keep up the fantastic works guys I’ve added you guys to my personal blogroll.
This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!
! Finally I’ve found something which helped me. Thank you!
Hi, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a
lot of spam comments? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything
you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any support is very much appreciated.
I use Akismet plug-in. Hope this helps!
However, in extremely large homes or apartment complexes, nothing beats this Wi – Fi booster
from Luxul. com will show you the detail steps about Wi – Fi
connection settings for this Huawei LTE CPE
B593. ein Einfamilienhaus mit mehreren Stockwerken, in welchem das Empfangsgerät Parterre angebracht ist, der Raum, in dem gearbeitet wird,
allerdings ganz oben unter dem Dach ist. Don’t continue to be frustrated by the
limited range of your current wireless network when one simple product can help you achieve so much more.